Play FXBG

Fall Opening of St. James’ House

Open October 3 – 8, 2022.

St. James’ House is open to the public for tours just two weeks a year, a week in the spring and a week in the fall. Tour the St James’ House to see its beautiful collection of antiques and decorative arts. Be sure to stroll the handsome gardens after your tour. Admission is $5 per person.

The house was originally home to James Mercer, an attorney. Mercer was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses, the first judge of the General Court in Fredericksburg, and the attorney who drew up the will of Mary Washington. Mercer built the house on land once owned by Fielding Lewis, brother-in-law of George Washington.

St. James’ House contains a fine collection of antique furniture and decorative arts. Daniel Breslin and William Tolerton lovingly restored St. James’ in the mid-1960s and eventually bequeathed it to Preservation Virginia. Washington Heritage Museums then received the property and its collections by deed of gift in 2012. St. James’ House serves as the headquarters for Washington Heritage Museums.

Event Details
October 4, 2022
1pm-4pm
1300 Charles Street, Fredericksburg, VA, USA
Skip to content