On the corner of Caroline and Lewis streets sits a small red brick building built in 1749. This building was originally the Fielding Lewis Store. Besides being one of the oldest buildings in America and the oldest in Fredericksburg, the Fielding Lewis Store can also claim that George Washington shopped there.
Fielding Lewis was married to Betty Washington Lewis, George Washington’s sister. Their home, Historic Kenmore, is located a few blocks away. The Fielding Lewis Store building is now the home of Historic Fredericksburg Foundation Inc. (HFFI)