The General Hugh Mercer Monument was erected in 1906 by the U.S. Government. This bronze statue by Edward V. Valentine honors Hugh Mercer who, on the advice of Washington, opened an apothecary shop in Fredericksburg in 1761. Mercer was a general in the Revolutionary War and was killed at the Battle of Princeton on January 12, 1777. His grandson was Hugh Weedon Mercer, a Confederate general in the Civil War.
The monument is located on Washington Avenue, just down from Historic Kenmore, the home of George Washington’s sister Betty Lewis and her husband Fielding Lewis.