Mary Ball Washington was born in Lancaster County, Virginia in 1708. Orphaned at a young age, Mary Ball married Augustine Washington in 1731. Her oldest child, George was born in 1732. In the ensuing years, Mary Washington had five more children. Following the death of her husband in 1743, Mary Washington raised her five surviving children at Ferry Farm. She never remarried.
In 1772, George Washington purchased a three-room cottage, now known as the Mary Washington House, for his mother in Fredericksburg, Virginia. The house was located near the properties of her son Charles Washington (now known as Rising Sun Tavern) and her daughter Betty Washington Lewis (now known as Historic Kenmore). Mary Washington resided in the house for the final seventeen-years of her life, dying from breast cancer at the age of eighty in 1789.
Be sure to allow time to visit the Mary Washington House Museum Store. The store contains a great selection of savory treats, local products, gifts for any occasion, and books for historians of all ages. Visiting the Museum Store is always free.
The Mary Washington House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The 18th century English-style garden, featuring a rectangular grass lawn bordered with beds of appropriate flowers and greenery is available for wedding ceremonies after 5pm. Total guests and wedding party cannot exceed 100 people. A changing room and 20 folding chairs are available for guest seating. Other rentals must be made by the wedding party.
Please phone 540-373-1569 or email MWH@WashingtonHeritageMuseums.org for details, and availability. All accommodations are subject to change in accordance with the most current COVID restrictions.