In Fredericksburg, we view Memorial Day as the unofficial start of summer. It is the perfect holiday to enjoy with friends and family, while never forgetting the brave sacrifice of so many service members in both our community and nationwide. Here are 10 things to do for Memorial Weekend in Fredericksburg, May 26-29th:
- Book a Tour – Our historical tours perfectly capture the history and culture of Fredericksburg, and whether by trolley, carriage, or foot, a brisk May weekend is the perfect reason to check out what our city has to teach you. And there is no better day than Memorial Day to experience our FXBG Civil War Tour.
- Eat al fresco – Savor a meal amidst a refreshing breeze or beneath the warm glow of the sun. Enjoy creative American cuisine on the Vivify Burger and Lounge rooftop patio, take in the river views at Tapa Rio, or enjoy an Italian dinner in the new courtyard at Ristorante Renato.
- Get Outdoors – The beautiful May weather is the perfect excuse to take a stroll/bike along the Rappahannock River, and enjoy the views that the trails have to offer. Watch Freehling Finds about biking in Fredericksburg
- Catch a Show – Watch the Fredericksburg Theatre Ensemble’s performance of The Odd Couple (Female Version) or the high energy, family-friendly Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Riverside Center of the Performing Arts
- Be Amused – Head over to Fun Land of Fredericksburg, a family-friendly amusement park offering thrilling rides, zip line, go-karts, mini-golf, and arcade games. Jump over to SkyZone Trampoline Park for a game of Wipe Out or challenge your crew on the Ninja Warrior Course. Reclaim Arcade is another must-visit destination, featuring a unique collection of vintage arcade games and pinball machines for an unforgettable gaming experience.
- Get Out on the Water – Whether splashing on the banks of the Rappahannock or kayaking at Motts Run Reservoir, Fredericksburg has plenty of options for enjoying the water on Memorial Day. Make sure to book your kayak or paddle board rentals beforehand at Virginia Outdoor Center.
- Remember and Honor – Attend the Luminaria at the Fredericksburg National Cemetery that honors those who have passed in service of the United States of America. A candle will be lit for each of the nearly 15,300 service members buried at Fredericksburg National Cemetery. See a list of Fredericksburg Memorial Day ceremonies and observances.
- Discover the George Washington Family – Discover the life of America’s first President through the places that he called home. Visit Ferry Farm, where our first president spent his formative years. Acquaint yourself with George Washington’s mother, Mary Ball Washington, by visiting the Mary Washington House. Discover the beauty of Historic Kenmore, home of his sister, Betty Washington Lewis and Fielding Lewis. Stop by the Fredericksburg Visitor Center to get your XPass to visit the museums at a discounted rate.
- Explore Downtown Fredericksburg – Enjoy an afternoon by strolling through the historic streets full of boutiques shops, vintage/antique stores and unique art galleries and studios.
- Sip and Sample -Indulge in the world’s oldest fermented beverage made from honey at Haley’s Honey Meadery. Head over to Wild Hare Cider Pub to taste delicious, Virginia sourced ciders crafted from the freshest apples. Sample a flight of crafted brews at one of our breweries to work on Fredericksburg Area Brew Trail Passport.
Fredericksburg provides a perfect setting to create new Memorial Day weekend memories. In addition to the activities above, you can view more FXBG fun on our events page. Remember to honor and reflect on the sacrifices made by our brave servicemen and women, as you enjoy the diverse attractions and experiences that Fredericksburg has to offer.
Tag us in your adventures. @VisitFXBG and #LoveFXBG #FXBG