It’s springtime! Wear your sundress, grab your baseball mit, and shield your nose from the smell of pear tree blossoms. As the winter dissipates and a brisk spring begins, Fredericksburg has a number of activities to participate in. Here are a few examples of how you can enjoy an FXBG Spring:
- Braehead Farm Strawberry Picking – Whether you are taking your toddlers to pick a few strawberries or collecting 200 pounds of strawberries for a year’s supply of smoothies (do not actually do that), Braehead Farm is open this spring for picking the subjectively best fruit out there.
- Chatham Bridge – When the historic Chatham Bridge we reopened last October, residents of Fredericksburg immediately realized how gorgeous its views of the Rappahannock River were for fall pictures. Now, with the trees and flowers blossoming, there is no better location for spring photos in Fredericksburg than Chatham Bridge.
- Earth Day on the Rappahannock – This free festival is the perfect way to bring your family and friends together, and celebrate this beautiful planet that we call our home. Dance to live music, eat some delicious food, and meet live animals including snakes (we’ll let you experience that last one, we’re good).
- First Friday and Sip & Stroll – When viewing the exquisite galleries of Fredericksburg on the First Friday of every month, you can now enjoy a drink as well. Sip & Stroll, a recent addition to First Friday, allows for participating restaurants to provide to-go alcoholic beverages for those enjoying First Friday. Spend a crisp evening with an even crisper cocktail.
- Fredericksburg Nationals – Opening Day this year is upon us, and the Fred Nats are ready for a winning second season. Minor League baseball is more than a game: it is an experience. Come to the ballpark to enjoy our home team hit a home run.
- Fun Land of Fredericksburg – In addition to the recently opened Sky Trail indoor ropes course, Fun Land of Fredericksburg has plenty of wonderful outdoor attractions. Hit a hypothetical home run in the batting cages, beat your boyfriend in mini-golf, or race on Fun Land’s legendary three-story go-kart track. Driving a go-kart with the spring breeze in your face is the perfect way to spend an afternoon.
- Garden Week – Fredericksburg has always blossomed in beauty from its outstanding gardens. During Historic Garden Week, take a stroll all over town to experience the gorgeous gardens of Fredericksburg.
- Great Train Race – Hosted by the Fredericksburg Area Running Club, the Great Train Race is a wonderful option for our young athletes. This race for children of all ages begins under Fredericksburg Station, and finishes at the city docks. Proceeds of the race will benefit Loisann’s Hope House, a shelter committed to move families from homelessness to permanent housing.
- Helmet & Goggles Biplane Rides – Yes, you read that right. When visiting Shannon Airport, not only can you tour their museum and eat at their diner. You can also book a flight in a World War II-era Stearman biplane. In other words, you can fly around Fredericksburg in an open cockpit. We can personally vouch for this unreal experience, and highly recommend you take a ride with Helmet & Goggles. Have a pleasant flight.
- Old Towne Carriage Tours – Experience Fredericksburg the way it was meant to be experienced: with horses. Olde Towne Carriage Tours provide an intricate glimpse of Fredericksburg’s history, with beautiful horses as your tour guides…and our human guides are pretty informed too.
- Rappahannock River Trails – The Rappahannock has blessed Fredericksburg with beautiful riverside trails that are perfect for both leisurely walks and moderately difficult hikes. Draped in the forest along the water, these trails are perfect for a springtime stroll.
- Riverfront Park – This gorgeous park on the Rappahannock River was partially opened last October. This spring, come enjoy the opening of the lawn and meadow area, as the entirety of Riverfront Park will be available to the public.
- Rooftop Bars – Above Castiglia’s Italian Restaurant is a pristine rooftop, known to the people of Fredericksburg as Sky Bar. And right down the block from Sky Bar is Vivify Burger & Lounge, also home to a rooftop bar. Sip on a cocktail as you observe the beautiful views of the city.
- Strangeways Brewing – One of the highest-rated breweries in Fredericksburg has both 96 draft lines for beer, and a gorgeous outdoor Biergarten. Sample a flight of craft beer while enjoying the perfect spring weather on the Strangeways Biergarten.
Visit our Events page to see what’s happening.